Tuesday, January 18, 2011

knitting inspiration

Today has been all about inspiration for me. We were iced in by a storm this morning. The wind and rain haven't stopped all day. We did venture out for a quick bit into town to grab a paper and some lunch. We were quickly soaked every time we stepped out of the car. We made our way home via the beach road. The sideways rain was creating what looked like sheets of vellum blowing in the wind. Needless to say, I am happy to be inside where it is warm and dry. This is the perfect day to be dreaming of a heavy knit blanket on your lap. The kind of blanket with the a weight that pins you to your chosen location and gives you the permission to stay there all day curled up with a cup of hot cocoa. This dreaming made me go on the hunt for just the right knit ... and I think I found it. I can't wait to get my own giant knitting needles and to start knitting covers for everything. Winter will never be the same again.







The first three photos of inspirational knit I found
via Design Shimmer.









These last four images I found when searching extreme knitting and are from Christien Meindertsma's website called Flocks.

All very inspiring.

Who else does this type of knitting? I can't get enough of it.

3 comments:

AshleyDoll said...

I want to know more about this, too! I've been looking for some big, fat yarn that doesn't cost a gazillion bucks, and playing with the idea of making some of my own out of strips of old t-shirts. I haven't knit or crocheted anything for a LONG time, and I think it's time to revisit that. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting...

Mergirl said...

Oooooh, yes, please keep me posted. Currently I am using 5 plys of handspun natural wool. Cut up t-shirts sounds like a good one too.

Vinefen11 said...

I have used T-shirt strips for knitting, and it knits well, but I don't think it would work for furniture because the material is very stretchy. I used strips cut to about 1/2", so perhaps the fabric would be more resilient if the strips were cut thicker. I produced the strips as a by-product of cutting the logos out of many t-shirts to make quilts, and typically the bottom 20" or so of the shirt is left over as a big tube which is perfect for cutting into a large spiral.

What I want to know is where can I find extremely fat yarn?? I want to try knitting rugs and furniture like I see pictures of, but I can't find yarn anywhere close to the right fatness. I have made one pouf by using 4 or 5 strands of yarn together, but the end product doesn't have the smooth knitted appearance that I am after. I have thought about cutting wide strips out of felted sweaters, but I think it might take a lot(!) of sweaters to make enough yarn for a pouf or rug, plus I don't think I would be able to get a smooth professional look by that method. I am now contemplating using up my wool stash by knitting I-cord and felting it. Has anybody ever done that? If so, how does it turn out?